What is Patient Specific Knee Replacement
Patient Specific Knee Replacement is a newer technology in total knee replacement surgery. It is an advanced procedure using an individualized patient-specific knee implant for replacement of all three components of the knee. The difference with patient specific knee replacement from other knee replacement surgeries is the use of an MRI scan prior to the surgery that provides a clear view of the shape and structure of the different components of the joint. The implants are then designed specifically to match the natural shape of the articulating surfaces of the patient’s knee based upon the MRI. Unlike other knee replacement surgeries, patient specific knee replacement can also be used for severe knee arthritis.
Prior to the surgery, several MRI scans are taken to understand the specific anatomy of the affected joint. Based on the MRI images the surgeon plans the surgery and calculates the cutting measurements that help the surgeon to remove the necessary amount of bone, at specific angles. This customized cut provides better implantation, more reliable alignment, and removal of less amount of bone.
There are several advantages to patient specific knee replacement arthroplasty over the regular traditional implants, which include:
- No compromise on the size of the implant as it is patient specific
- Provides a better fit of the implant as the implant conforms to the patient’s unique shape of the articulating surfaces of the knee joint
- Maximizes the implants contact area decreasing the polyethylene contact stress thereby prolonging the life of the implant
- Preserves more natural bone
- Maximizes proximal tibial coverage and thus reduces the risk of tibial implant caving in and loosening
What is ConforMIS® Knee Implant?
ConforMIS® has developed personalized knee resurfacing implants with unique advantages against traditional knee replacement options. To design a personalized implant for every individual, the surgeon will perform the CT scan of the affected knee of the patient. A 3D image of a patient’s knee is created from CT scans and an implant is designed to conform exactly to individual size and shape.
Dr. Carpenter is proud to offer the latest in knee replacement technology – iTotal from Conformis. Conformis patient conforming knee replacements are designed to match the unique size and shape of each patient’s knee.
Because off-the-shelf implants aren’t designed to your specific anatomy, surgeons often have to compromise on implant fit, rotation, and alignment.
These compromises can cause pain or discomfort after surgery and help explain why 1 in 5 patients aren’t satisfied with their knee replacement.
The Conformis technology offers unique advantages not possible with traditional, off-the-shelf implants:
- Individualized fit that virtually eliminates sizing compromises common with off-the-shelf implants and often associated with pain after surgery
- Design that follows the shape and contour of each patient’s knee, which provides an increased potential for a more natural feeling knee
- Maintenance of the patient’s natural joint lines to avoid instability, which is a common cause of patient dissatisfaction